Wednesday, May 9, 2012




 Despite few downpours on Sunday morning, Draw: Madison enjoyed an lovely afternoon in Mount Horeb. We started out at Schubert's, which did have delicious homemade pie, as Pat promised. I did the drawing at left, while enjoying an apple raisin cinnamon roll, which must have been freshly made that morning by hand, it was so good. The atmosphere of Schubert's on Sunday was perfect for sketching -- relaxed and cosy, yet energizing and very social with of all the artsy types there due to Cynthia Quinn's art opening.




We progressed outside after the weather cleared up. We didn't have to go far though -- the building in this second sketch is right across the street from Schubert's. It's very old-worldish with detailed brickwork and masonry all over.








I take the bus to work most days lately. Some days I miss my earlier bus and have to wait for another that comes 20 minutes later, so my sketch book now has a number of bus stop drawings in it. Since I was sort of rushed, I didn't plan the composition of this one too fully, but I kind of like how it turned out anyway. I used a fine tip Sharpie pen to draw it.





Gretchen asked me to post this drawing from our visit to the Arboretum. I found the site, a marsh with a boardwalk through it surrounded by forest, to be very challenging to draw because of all the complex textures. Using charcoal helped me simplify the textures a bit, but I'm still not entirely satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment